Advising & Resources

Rice students are encouraged to reach out to their degree advisors when they have questions throughout the year and must follow the degree requirements outlined in the General Announcements.

Declaring Your Major

  1. Login to Esther, download and fill out the declaration form - Go to Student Services & Account Information > Degrees, Majors, and Minors Declared > UG Declaration and Change of Major (or Minor or University Certificate) Form.

  2. Complete the Degree planner: BS Planner or BA Planner

  3. Make an appointment to see your advisor with your declaration form, Degree Planner (BSCE or BA), and unofficial transcript OR email your advisor the electronic PDF Major Declaration Form filled out with your information.

  4. After your Advisor has 'signed off', send an electronic copy to Erica Harris at Eh63@rice.edu or go to Ryon Lab 204 with a hard copy of the signed form.

BSCE Advisors

Phil Bedient

Focuses on Environmental Engineering (Area I) and Hydrology and Water Resources (Area II)

Keck Hall 116


Jamie Padgett

Focuses on Structural Engineering & Mechanics (Area III)

Ryon Lab 208


Leonardo Duenas-Osorio

Focuses on Urban infrastructure, reliability, and management (Area IV)

Ryon Lab 212


BA Advisors

Jamie Padgett

Focuses on the Civil Track (C)

Ryon Lab 208


Phil Bedient

Focuses on the Environmental Track (E)

Keck Hall 116


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I make an advising appointment?

A: Contact a faculty member from the list. Each student should meet with their advisor regularly to discuss academic progress or possible course offering changes.

Q: What should I bring to an advising appointment?

A: 1) A printed copy of your planner AND 2) A printed copy of your transcript or laptop to access your Degree Works audit sheet

Student Resources

Find Opportunities: Leadership, Internship & Networking

Get Involved: Student Organizations

Stay Connected

Twitter LinkedIn