BA in Civil or Environmental Engineering

The Bachelor of Arts Degree with a Major in Civil or Environmental Engineering, with its two distinct major concentrations, affords students flexibility, including the possibility to complete a double major with any other Rice University major.

Download our annual Bachelor of Arts flyer [PDF] for an overview of courses, focus areas, electives and ways to get involved at Rice University.

BA Major Track Options

For an overview of learning outcomes, requirements and more for the BA major tracks, visit General Announcements:

Students pursuing professional engineering licensure should consider our BS in Civil Engineering degree program. Select students will be invited to finish an accelerated professional Master's program in the CEE department.


The BA curriculum is designed to give Rice undergraduate students a consistent technological literacy through the lens of civil and environmental engineering and prepare students for graduate school in engineering, various sciences, economics, business, political science, law, or medicine.

Each major track — Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering — is to be tailored to the specific needs of each student through discussions with and approval by a departmental track advisor.

Either 6 core courses in Track C or 5 core courses in Track E, plus 7 courses in a focused specialty area of study are required. In addition, students are responsible for satisfying the university distribution requirement of 24 hours, math and science requirements of 25 hours, and additional free electives for a total of 122 hours for graduation with a BA degree with a major in civil or environmental engineering.

Although not required, students are encouraged to double major in their specialty focus area:

Specialty Focus Areas

These are only example focus areas. Students are encouraged to prepare their own focus area related to their career objectives in consultation with and approval by their faculty advisor.

  • Biology
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering Economics
  • Environmental Science and Engineering
  • Management

Certifying Advisors

For declaring your major, verification of degree plans or submission of specialty-specific adviser-approved course substitutions via petition in Degreeworks:

How to Apply to Rice

All prospective undergraduate students should apply through Rice University's Office of Admission. They can also help you schedule a visit to campus.

Contact Us

Have a question or need guidance?

Andrea Torres
Undergraduate Academic Administrator