BS in Civil Engineering

The ABET-accredited Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) is designed for students who have an interest in one of the broad and diverse fields of civil and environmental engineering. The degree helps prepare students for a licensed career in engineering and offers an innovative and challenging curriculum that provides students significant flexibility for their future. Select students will be invited to finish an accelerated professional Master's program in the CEE department.

Download our BS in Civil Engineering flyer [PDF] for an overview of courses, focus areas, electives and ways to get involved at Rice University.


For BSCE program requirements, learning outcomes and more for the BSCE program, visit General Announcements.

When students declare the major in Civil Engineering (BSCE degree), students must complete (11 courses/26 credits) of core course requirements to provide engineering breath and two courses in each of our four engineering focus areas (8 courses/24 credits). To fulfill the remaining specialization requirements, students must complete two additional courses in one of the four focus areas (2 courses/6 credits) in addition to University requirements:

Areas of Specialization

  1. Environmental engineering — air and water quality, transport theory, modeling, and energy
  2. Hydrology and water resources — watershed and aquifer management, flood prediction, data analysis, GIS
  3. Structural engineering and mechanics — structural analysis, mechanics, design, matrix methods
  4. Urban infrastructure, reliability, and management — transportation systems, complex urban systems, soil mechanics, engineering economics, management

BS to MCEE in Civil or Environmental Engineering Program

This one-year pathway to a professional master’s degree for Rice undergraduates. With proper planning and coordination, undergraduates at Rice University can earn a master's degree in civil or environment with one just extra year of study at Rice.

Learn more about our BS / MCEE Program.


BSCE Certifying Advisors

For declaring your major, verification of degree plans or submission of specialty-specific (Area I-IV) advisor-approved course substitutions via petition in Degreeworks:

Area Advisors

For specialty-specific (Area I-IV) course recommendations or substitution requests:

How to Apply

All prospective undergraduate students should apply through Rice University's Office of Admission. They can also help you schedule a visit to campus.

Contact Us

Have questions or need guidance?

Andrea Torres
Undergraduate Academic Administrator